[K12OSN] users not logging into my thin client environment

Mathieu Pelletier mpelletier at tcz.co.zw
Wed Apr 28 11:12:57 UTC 2010

So, I have successfully set up my LTSP server and the clients boot
successfully.  I have even changed the default LDM theme and it looks
brilliant!  But now, I have a small problem that my users upon logging
in are not in the LTSP environment (the one in /opt/ltsp/i386).  They
are actually logged into the server environment.

My server is running F13 and my thin client environment image is F12
(since the F13 ltsp enviro wasn't building and due to stability on the
client).  Anyway, everything seems to be working great on the client in
spite of this.  I do, however want my users to be using the proper
environment, since my changes and customisations for that image needs to
be replicated to the client, and obviously the users do not need all the
services on the server's image.

My question is how do I remedy this so that users login to the correct
environment.  The login screen is taken from
/opt/ltsp/i386/usr/share/ldm/themes, but once the user logs in they have
the F13 background and everything.  It seems to me that the solution
should be pretty easy, but I have not found much information on how to
properly  create user accounts.  I have the users home directory mounted
in /opt/ltsp/i386/home/username, so this part is working.

~Thanks for your help!

Mathieu Pelletier
Director of IT Development
Theological College of Zimbabwe

Tel: +263 9 287032/3 Ext: 214
mpelletier at tcz.co.zw <mailto:mpelletier at tcz.co.zw>
www.tczonline.com <http://www.tczonline.com>
Chat Google Talk: mkpelletier Skype: mathieu.pelletier