[K12OSN] Thoughts on K12LTSP fading into the sunset

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Fri Dec 10 01:00:01 UTC 2010

I think Warren is still working for Red Hat, but is busy with other things.
Even so, his focus was never K12LTSP per se, but rather getting LTSP 5 to work
on RH systems, which he did with Fedora.  Getting LTSP 5 to work on Centos 5 was
difficult if not impossible because Centos 5 just doesn't have all of the
necessary pieces built in.

Gavin, who also works for RH I believe, is trying to pick up where Warren left
off. (It would be nice if RH could offer official, paid support for LTSP on RHEL
6, although I realize the business case may just not be there.)  Centos 6 will
be along soon, although I don't think anyone should be thinking they'll be able
to switch to LTSP 5 on Centos 6 over the Christmas break; it just won't be
ready.  I think planning to make a switch next summer is a more realistic timetable.

Peter