[K12OSN] Colour Inkjet Printer Recommendations?

j.w. thomas jthomas at bittware.com
Fri Dec 24 16:37:10 UTC 2010

When I bought our printer, I focussed almost entirely on the cost of the
consumables.  Having been stung by the cost of inkjet carts in the past,
we went for a B&W laser, as it had the lowest care and feeding cost.

Unfortunately, my focus on that aspect was not sufficient.  It had been
so long since I had run into anything that would not work under Linux
that the thought that such things still exist never entered my head.

I ended up getting a Canon, and yes, it is a winprinter.  I didn't find
that out until after the toner cart was opened, which was the point of
no return.  So now I'm stuck with a Canon.  I had to cobble together a
Win2K box to be the print server.  It is very much  Rube Goldberg
contraption, and I cannot wait until the day that printer accidentally
falls off the table and is irreparably damaged.

Learn from my fail.