[K12OSN] Correct way to prevent screen from going to sleep

j.w. thomas jthomas at bittware.com
Thu Dec 2 21:04:43 UTC 2010

Jeff Siddall wrote:
> I am trying to get the monitors attached to my LTSP clients to stay on
> even when there is no mouse/keyboard connected.
>
> I had been using:
>
>     CONFIGURE_X = True
>     X_MONITOR_OPTION_01 = "\"DPMS\" \"false\""
>
> in my lts.conf, and while that works with KDE it does not seem to work
> with XFCE.  I also tried disabling the power saving settings in XFCE and
> that didn't work either.  Any other ideas?

I have an idea that you will not really want to try, but since it is
somewhat amusing, I will share it.

I needed to do this very thing once, so I took an old computer fan,
taped a circular piece of cardboard to the blades to make it into a
crude turntable.  Then I laid it on its side on the table, put the mouse
on the platter, and plugged it in.

It worked!  But it's not a good solution!

jthomas at bittware.com  http://www.bittware.com    (603) 226-0404 x536
Failure is always an option