[K12OSN] Which server would you prefer?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 22:43:50 UTC 2010

On 2/17/2010 4:11 PM, Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:
> In that case, sure, that's a fine usage for the server.  File serving
> does not need a lot of CPU oomph. If you'd like to go beyond 100Mb/sec,
> decent Gig-E cards are dirt-cheap now. You'll probably get in the
> neighborhood of 300Mb/sec, given the CPU power, but nothing wrong with
> that for a file server.
>
> Running Samba on it for any Windoze clients would be a low-CPU endeavour
> as well.

I've always thought that Linux distributions should just come up running
an LDAP server for authentication so that adding your 2nd shared server
would be even easier than the 1st instead of having to start over to
figure out how to convert both to central authentication.  Now I think
ClearOS (formerly Clarkconnect) might actually do it.  Has anyone looked
at it yet?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com