[K12OSN] Which server would you prefer?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 18:54:40 UTC 2010

On 2/12/2010 12:31 PM, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Les Mikesell<lesmikesell at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I'd try to configure the proliant to share out home directories with the P4
>> (and potentially others) as the login server.  I'm not sure if K12Linux
>> handles that the same way that k12ltsp would, but lots of disks in a
>> suitable RAID configuration is the important part for file service and a
>> fast CPU is needed where the apps run, and these don't need to be the same
>> machine.
>
> Good suggestion Les, but then you have the added issue of a nfs
> exported /home that is exported rw.

I thought people were doing that with k12ltsp for ages and k12linux was
supposed to make things more transparent for local apps - which would
also need home dir network access.  You could use a dedicated subnet
with separate NICs for server<->sever NFS access if you need to nail it
down.  Using multiple servers does mean you are likely to want a central
authentication system, though.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com