[K12OSN] Which server would you prefer?

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Fri Feb 19 20:13:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/19/2010 1:16 PM, R. Scott Belford wrote:
>

>>    I've always thought that Linux distributions should just come up
>>    running an LDAP server for authentication so that adding your 2nd
>>    shared server would be even easier than the 1st instead of having to
>>    start over to figure out how to convert both to central
>>    authentication.  Now I think ClearOS (formerly Clarkconnect) might
>>    actually do it.  Has anyone looked at it yet?
>>

>> I've looked at ClearOS alot. John Terpstra joined them, and he put in a
>> bunch of time with the LDAP and PDC features of ClearOS. It uses LDAP
>> for all users, and the PDC functionality is good. They've put together
>> something special.
>>

> I used to think that SME server would have been good for a home directory
> and email server if it had done that (and had NFS by default), but ClearOS
> may turn out to get it right.

You've long recommended SME server for great reasons. Peter, the heart
behind ClarkConnect and ClearOS, is nothing short of amazing when it comes
to documenting and coding. The fact that John joined ClearOS only made it
better. The next release provides a NFS gui, so we all have a CentOS based
distro that meets all the samba/ldap/nfs/pdc functions needed by many. And,
if your administrators feel better about it, you can contract the company
for support.

However, I'll re-iterate that Debian-Edu continues to define all that is
right in an education distribution. This stuff - roaming profiles and ldap -
has been integrated for more than 5 years. I'll also emphasize that my DRBL
installs use NIS and NFS and can provide roaming profiles to all users, too.
The transport is not secure, but, one step at a time.

> --
>  Les Mikesell
>   lesmikesell at gmail.com

--scott