[K12OSN] K12LTSP status

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 12:38:19 UTC 2010

Rob Owens wrote:
> I tried DRBL briefly.  One piece of advice I can give you:  the server
> must be the same architecture as the clients.  So if you have i386
> clients, the server must run an i386 distro.  At least this was the case
> when I tried it about a year ago.

One of the recent changes to drbl at least in it's clonezilla-server role is
adding the ability to PXE-boot an image of the clonezilla-live iso.  The
advantage is that you can then use the more up to date ubuntu based image for
better hardware support on the client even if the server runs something else.

I don't know if it is possible to generalize that to boot any live iso image you
want, but that seems like it might be a good approach for "thick" clients,
especially if you can get a client set up to do ldap authentication and
nfs-mount the home directory.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com