[K12OSN] K12LTSP status

Luis Montes monteslu at cox.net
Tue Jul 13 14:18:02 UTC 2010

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Luis Montes <monteslu at cox.net> wrote:

>>> I think the nature of the usage is such that if it doesn't have a solid
>>> release by early/mid August, most of the potential US users will have to
>>> stick with K12LTSP EL5 another year - at least if ltsp4 works on their
>>> clients.
>>>

>> This would be extremely unfortunate.  One thing that I haven't been able to
>> run on Centos5 is Google's Chrome.  As more and more sites ditch flash in
>> favor of javascript+HTML5, this is becoming really important.  Firefox is
>> good, but  Chrome is much faster.
>>
>> Chrome running an LTSP5  local app would be even better.
>>

> RHEL6 most likely won't be out before Halloween which means CentOS6
> will probably come in early 2011. Then somebody like Gavin will have
> to make packages of K12Linux for it. So I would plan for a K12Linux
> based on CentOS6 for next school year (Sept 2011). Unless you are
> brave enough to switch mid year (I'm not).
>
> But if a newer distro is that important (for Chrome and the like) then
> why not just use Fedora 12 now. It's ready and stable. Plus RHEL6 is
> mostly based on F12 anyway. Yes F12 is going to stop getting updates
> in Nov but if you're not running services on it that are publicly
> accessible, all you really need to make sure is your browser+plugins
> are up to date.
>
> BTW if all your clients are strong enough to run the most demanding
> and resource hungry app (Chrome) locally, then DRBL may be an option
> for you.
>
> Just a side note: I never really feel comfortable with Fedora in a
> production environment like ltsp or drbl until it's been out for at
> least 2-3 months.

Hadn't thought about running F12.  I guess having support until November
is better than the long unsupported version I'm using now.
Most of the thin clients we're won't have enough RAM for Chrome running
as a local app, but some will.  Would be nice to be able to toggle it on
for the ones that can.

I've got about two weeks to figure something out.

Luis