[K12OSN] K12LTSP status

Terrell Prude' Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat Jul 24 00:48:49 UTC 2010

Les Mikesell wrote:
> The problem is that CentOS 6 doesn't exist yet.  When it does, it
> should be close to fedora 13 and even closer to the Red Hat beta 6
> that you could preview now: http://www.redhat.com/rhel/beta/

True.  But when it does, we should look very strongly at making an EL
version out of it.  That was my point.

Does anyone on this list have experience with packaging software for RPM
distros?  I've never done it, but I'm certainly willing to help out.

> The enterprise versions usually release with fairly current software
> but the updates are just bug/security fixes from then on.  With CentOS
> 5, Firefox and OO were exceptions, getting major version updates after
> the release.

And in these two cases, they really did need to do that.  The OO.o
upgrade was an absolute necessity due to the OOXML file format
compatibility issue, and the Firefox update is because RH simply don't
have the resources to maintain older versions of Firefox.

--TP