[K12OSN] LTSP server slow or unresponsive when internet connection is not present

Mathieu Pelletier mpelletier at tcz.co.zw
Wed Jul 7 08:59:48 UTC 2010

I have an LTSP server with 30 clients attached.  Everything works well,
except when our internet connection goes down (which happens with some
degree of frequency in our context).  When there is no access to
internet from our LTSP server everything becomes really slow until
eventually the clients just freeze.  I have tried removing GSSAPI
authentication from SSH which seemed to help, at least now I can ssh
into the server, whereas before this was not possible when internet was
down.  I am not sure what is causing this or how I can fix it.  I assume
it has something to do with DNS, but I am not sure where to start.  Any
suggestions?

Mathieu Pelletier
Director of IT Development
Theological College of Zimbabwe