[K12OSN] LTSP server slow or unresponsive when internet connection is not present

I have an LTSP server with 30 clients attached.  Everything works well, except when our internet connection goes down (which happens with some degree of frequency in our context).  When there is no access to internet from our LTSP server everything becomes really slow until eventually the clients just freeze.  I have tried removing GSSAPI authentication from SSH which seemed to help, at least now I can ssh into the server, whereas before this was not possible when internet was down.  I am not sure what is causing this or how I can fix it.  I assume it has something to do with DNS, but I am not sure where to start.  Any suggestions?

Mathieu Pelletier
Director of IT Development
Theological College of Zimbabwe