[K12OSN] LTSP server slow or unresponsive when internet connection is not present

Tomislav Škunca tomislav.skunca at nacional.hr
Wed Jul 7 09:16:18 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 10:59:48AM +0200, Mathieu Pelletier wrote:
>    I have an LTSP server with 30 clients attached.  Everything works well,
>    except when our internet connection goes down (which happens with some
>    degree of frequency in our context).  When there is no access to internet
>    from our LTSP server everything becomes really slow until eventually the
>    clients just freeze.  I have tried removing GSSAPI authentication from SSH
>    which seemed to help, at least now I can ssh into the server, whereas
>    before this was not possible when internet was down.  I am not sure what
>    is causing this or how I can fix it.  I assume it has something to do with
>    DNS, but I am not sure where to start.  Any suggestions?
>
>    Mathieu Pelletier
>    Director of IT Development
>    Theological College of Zimbabwe

Try setting the 'UseDNS' option in sshd_config to 'no'. That might help.
Otherwise you might want to check your DNS settings in /etc/resolv.conf
(client side).

If everything seems OK you could also try working around the problem
using /etc/hosts but I wouldn't suggest it as a long term solution.

--
Tomislav Škunca
IS/IT