Re: [K12OSN] K12LTSP status

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Barry  Cisna <brcisna eazylivin net> wrote:
Hello All,

Anyone know what the status of the K12LTSP project is? Just wondered why
the K12LTSP wiki and all is down and parked?
It seems the K12Linux project has hit the curb as well?
I'm out in the sticks,so I'm always* out of the loop,,,:).

This is not official. Just my observations.
Dan seems to be keeping K12ltsp 5EL in maintenance mode.
K12Linux, along with other ltsp distro lists seem to be very quiet. I
remember when there was lots of traffic on this list (4 years ago). No
longer. I still read this list even though I have moved on to DRBL
(similar to ltsp but everything runs on the client). Powerful PC's are
just so cheap now.

Red Hat now also sells a product kind of similar to ltsp (but not really).
http://www.redhat.com/virtualization/rhev/desktop/
So my guess is they are putting resources towards it

This is why I recommend (and recommended) every K12Linux user to use K12LTSP 5EL. Security updates remain available, which is the most important. Red Hat, and therefore CentOS, just updated OpenOffice.org and Firefox (and some other applications) to recent versions, so that's staying current.

LTSP systems remain a good idea and remain appropriate for classroom labs, cheap thick clients or not. The whole idea of thin clients is to keep maintenance to a minimum. My K12LTSP 5EL server is still goin' strong, still works just great, my "old" thin clients are still doing great.

--TP