[K12OSN] K12LTSP status

Luis Montes monteslu at cox.net
Mon Jul 12 16:53:03 UTC 2010

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 7/12/2010 10:26 AM, Gavin Spurgeon wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know what the likelihood is of CentOS 6 and LTSP 5 being
>>> packaged?
>>
>> I have already said that I am willing to take over the packaging of the
>> .rpms for Fedora/RHEL but I am in the process of trying to take over the
>> packages on the Fedora Packages System but this is a slow process and we
>> are still trying to contact the current owner and sort things out. Once
>> this gets done the 1st thing on the TODO list is to package teh latest
>> version of LTSP for F13 and of course get things ready for upcoming
>> versions of RHEL.
>>
>> Hope this helps...
>
> I think the nature of the usage is such that if it doesn't have a
> solid release by early/mid August, most of the potential US users will
> have to stick with K12LTSP EL5 another year - at least if ltsp4 works
> on their clients.

This would be extremely unfortunate.  One thing that I haven't been able
to run on Centos5 is Google's Chrome.  As more and more sites ditch
flash in favor of javascript+HTML5, this is becoming really important.
Firefox is good, but  Chrome is much faster.

Chrome running an LTSP5  local app would be even better.

Luis