[K12OSN] OT Dual personality Server (network pass through)

Dan Young dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us
Mon Jun 14 23:14:44 UTC 2010

brctl in the bridge-utils package

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/bridge

You can do this using the Fedora/Redhat sysconfig setup rather than
twiddling w/ brctl by hand, the advantage being that
/etc/init.d/network does the right thing. See that the bridge "device"
gets the IP address, and the ethernet devices are bound to the bridge:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0:
DEVICE=br0
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=10.0.0.1
IPADDR=10.0.0.2

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
DEVICE=eth0
HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
ONBOOT=yes
BRIDGE=br0

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1:
DEVICE=eth1
HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
ONBOOT=yes
BRIDGE=br0

I assume there are equivalents for Debian/Ubuntu network scripts, etc.

--
Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services