[K12OSN] Would you purchase this server for $150?

Gianugo Altieri gianugo.altieri at tiscali.it
Tue Jun 8 07:01:21 UTC 2010

     Hello,

     we are operating a LAN with a similar server (DL 380 G3 2x2800) and
we have 10 clients running OpenOffice, e-mail, desktop publishing, one
PHP developer and one CAD system. Performance is excellent, provided
that Firefox runs locally on clients. CPU workload never goes beyond
15~20%. We saw much difference from the previous Personal Computer we
used as a server, although it ran on an Intel CoreDuo 5200 2.5 GHz. Our
opinion is that a server, born to be a server, appears to be much more
suited for that role than a fat PC.
     Please, note that these server are very bulky and noisy and can't
be kept in the same room where people work.

     Gianugo Altieri
     Micro Bio Devices, Italy