[K12OSN] Install packages from full Fedora 10

Terrell Prude' Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Mar 11 00:15:16 UTC 2010

Michael Izak wrote:
> Now I am confused.  And getting frustrated.
>
> I explained this before.

Well, EXCUUUUUUSE US!

> I tried K12Linux (Fedora 10 with LTSP 5) and it is a bowderlized
> version of Fedora 10. It does not let you create network shares
> (samba) or anything much else because much of the necessary packages
> are missing. (or, are they? If so, point them out where they are? )
>
> You mention K12LTSP 5.0EL.  It is said to be part of Fedora 9 but I
> cannot find it anywhere.

No, it's not part of Fedora 9 nor even "said to be" part of Fedora 9.
It's K12LTSP 5.0EL, based on CentOS 5.  Here's the link.

http://k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/DownLoad

> I am not a Linux geek and I want to create a simple terminal server
> setup with the full packages from Fedora 10 and not some cut up
> shortened version of Fedora 10 that is called K12Linux/K12LTSP whatever.

Man, you obviously need to swallow a very large Chill Pill.  Don't act
like the folks on this forum somehow "owe" you something.  Instead, sit
down, RELAX, learn about terminal servers, and understand that learning
ANYTHING new takes some time.  I imagine you didn't learn how to drive
in one day, did you?  I imagine you didn't learn Microsoft Windows or
Apple Mac OS or Whatever Else You Use in a day, did you?  Of course
not--neither did anyone else!  It takes time.

> I don't understand why LTSP 5 software cannot be found to be
> downloaded?  I don't understand why LTSP 5 can't be RPM'd into Fedora
> 10 or 12?  And all of you keep pointing me back to some K12Linux which
> I keep saying it does not contain the full version of Fedora 10?

It can, and it is.  Learn the "yum" command.  It is your friend.

http://linux.die.net/man/8/yum

> There's a big difference between the older verision of K12Linux
> (Fedora 6 LTSP 4) and your current K12Linux (Fedora 10 LTSP 5).   The
> older version is the full Fedora 6 with all the packages and the
> current version is not even half of the Fedora 10 package.

That's true, there is.  Fedora 6 isn't even supported anymore and hasn't
been for over two years.

> Can anybody help me by explaining the genius thinking behind selling a
> K12Linux package whose elevator does not go all the way to the top or
> explain to me where to FIND a LTSP 5 package and download it and
> install it on a full packaged Fedora 10.

K12Linux or any other software package doesn't have elevators.
Buildings do.  Geez....