[K12OSN] Install packages from full Fedora 10

Dan Young dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Mar 10 17:56:30 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Michael Izak <surdus.law at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you saying the LTSP 5 package is not part of the Fedora 10 full package
> and that I would have to access some online software repository for the LTSP
> 5 package?  I don't understand why I can't download the LTSP 5 package and
> install them.

You can download them. Most people do this online using a package
management utility like yum or the various PackageKit bits. You can
download the i386 RPM directly here:
http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/10/Everything/i386/os/Packages/ltsp-server-5.1.34-2.fc10.i386.rpm

Or the x86_64 RPM here:
http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/10/Everything/x86_64/os/Packages/ltsp-server-5.1.34-2.fc10.x86_64.rpm

They may have package dependencies that would also need to be
downloaded by hand if you insist on not using a package manager.

If you can install into Fedora 10 online, just:

yum install ltsp-server

and consult the install guide here:
https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/wiki/InstallGuide

> Otherwise I would have to go back to Fedora 6 and LTSP 4 because that's the
> last full Fedora package there is.   I don't even understand the genius
> behind the act K12linux was deliberately bowderlized with barely the minimum
> Fedora 10 stuff.

No need to be belligerent here; people are trying to be helpful.

The Fedora 10 K12Linux is a Live CD, and download size was kept to a
minimum. It typical for Fedora to not include everything but have
various "spins" that include different sets of packages. Anything from
the Fedora 10 distribution can be added after the fact on a F10
K12Linux install using yum or the Add/Remove Software tool described
by others.

> Is there another Linux brand that offers BOTH the full package and LTSP 5?
> ubuntu?  What's the download link?

What is this "full package" you're looking for? Most distributions
don't include the full scope of available packages in their default
install due to space constraints on CD/DVD media.

--
Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services