[K12OSN] Yum transaction hangs-Centos-SOLVED

Scott S. ssh at tranquility.net
Mon Mar 29 00:34:40 UTC 2010

I am answering my own question here, command line yum and Yumex seem to
be working now. I downloaded the RPM for a newer cups, tired of always
having to restore the old one from backup. Manually running rpm -Uvh
gave me a clue that something was amiss in /var/lib/rpm. Unfortunately
now (an hour and many commands later) the exact message that gave me the
hint has scrolled longer than my bash history.

There were four __db.00x files there, with dates of last January. I
deleted them and everything seems to be working fine now.

To condense an hour of dabbling, running rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db* as
root was what fixed it for me. On to the updates...

thx-Scott S