[K12OSN] Yum transaction hangs-Centos-SOLVED

I am answering my own question here, command line yum and Yumex seem to be working now. I downloaded the RPM for a newer cups, tired of always having to restore the old one from backup. Manually running rpm -Uvh gave me a clue that something was amiss in /var/lib/rpm. Unfortunately now (an hour and many commands later) the exact message that gave me the hint has scrolled longer than my bash history.

There were four __db.00x files there, with dates of last January. I deleted them and everything seems to be working fine now.

To condense an hour of dabbling, running rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db* as root was what fixed it for me. On to the updates...

thx-Scott S

Scott S. wrote:
I have a Centos LTSP install that is my home/test bed. I have used LTSP for a long time, I chose the Centos variant for my home use, because at the time I only had dialup. Upgrades were a matter of hauling the server to someplace with a fast connect.

I haven't done that for almost a year, and just got DSL at home. Gleeful at the prospect of easily updating, I am running into failed yum transactions. I noticed this a while back when I tried to update cups. It suggested I run yum-complete-transacton, which also just hung. That process borked cups, but I could put it back from a backup easily.

I ran 'yum clean all' with no change.

In googling the problem I could see that this can be caused by hung nfs mounts. I have an nfs mount (that has been working fine), but i unmount -f it just in case.

The kernel is 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5

The problem is happening either with the command line yum or Yumex. Yumex's plugins are fastestmirror and priorities.

While I have used other 3rd party repos over the years (Adobe, rpmforge, livna, etc), my current repos are:
CentOS-5- Updates
CentOS-5-Extras
CentOS-5 Addons
CentOS-5-Base