[K12OSN] Bonding 3 networkcards and 3 switches.

Terrell Prude' Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed May 19 20:22:59 UTC 2010

You really should get a switch with at least one Gbit port.  TuxType and
TuxMath have both been measured over the years to use just under 73
Mbits/sec, per session.  You don't have to buy Cisco or any other "Rolls
Royce" brand like that, but fortunately switches are less money now.

Seriously, I'd take the case up and say "hey, we need to juggle money
from *somewhere* for this."

Now, that said, channel bonding does work.  Cisco calls it
"EtherChannel", and the Linux version of channel bonding is compatible
(I did it some years ago).  However, your switching architecture must
also support it.  In your case, it doesn't look like it does.

The other way to do it is to go ahead and connect each NIC to each
switch.  I've done this before, too, and it works very well.  You will
need to have a separate IP subnet per NIC.  For example, you could do
the following:

eth0:  192.168.0.0/24
eth1:  192.168.1.0/24
eth2:  192.168.2.0/24

and you would make entries in /etc/hosts as appropriate.  You'd also
make appropriate DHCP scopes in /etc/dhcpd.conf or whatever K12Linux
uses now.  I used this method to get x86, PowerPC, and UltraSPARC thin
clients all running off the same K12LTSP server a few years back.  I
scored some major coolness points for that one.  :-)

It's really not "hard" to do.  It's simply a matter of paying attention
to detail and knowing what's needed.  Let us know if you run into issues.

--TP