[K12OSN] Life after LTSP

Steven Santos Steven at SimplyCircus.com
Mon Nov 8 23:29:07 UTC 2010

Agreed.

> 2)
> programs like flash and java based apps don't work and will never work
> well in an LTSP environment because they are multithreaded and utilize
> all cores on the server. So no matter how powerful a server, running
> many flash or java apps bring it to it's knees. Things were better
> when all apps were single threaded. As time goes on this will only get
> worse as cpu makers are increasing cores not mhz, so software makers
> are adapting by making apps utilize all cores. Local apps is a
> solution in the right direction but it brings with it other problems
> like using fuse (ltspfs) and other issues. The other problem with
> local apps, in an ltsp client, is that usually true thin client cpu's
> are weak (eg. Atom). The concept of Local apps is 180 degrees to what
> LTSP is about.

Yes and no.  Local apps is a solution to some of the problems of LTSP.  I
think the future of computing will involve running apps locally that make
sense to run locally, and running apps remotely where it makes sense to, and
running diskless fats (DRBL) where it makes sense.  But I am not sure the
current model is it.  I think we will see a rise in app servers and
processing servers and more local apps with LTSP to tie it together.  I also
think VM's will play a rather large part in this.

> 3)
> Things get even worse when you run video full screen because the data
> is being decoded (high cpu hit) at the server, then pushing *large*
> decompressed data across the lan. It just doesn't scale well.

No, but this should generally be a local app.