Steven at SimplyCircus.com
Sun Nov 28 21:24:12 UTC 2010
Can our networks be set up using a series of VM's?
Is this the future of our networks?
- Pre-configured LDAP VM. Script to edit the domain name used, tools for
- Pre-configured LAN Services VM. Gets some basic config from LDAP, tools
for managing DNS/NFS/CUPS/etc
- Pre-configured email VM. Setup uses defaults set in LDAP VM, users
managed via LDAP
- Pre-configured MySQL Database server VM. Setup uses defaults set in LDAP
VM. Managed via LDAP
- Pre-configured RBDL server VM (one for each arch?). Clients and server
users controlled via LDAP
- Pre-configured LTSP server. Setup uses defaults set in LDAP VM. Managed
- Pre-configured KOHA server. Setup uses defaults set in LAN VM. Managed
This sets up an ecosystem whereby VM's can be moved around as needed. you
rely on one or two VM's (LDAP and LAN services) that would be built on LTS
builds. Other services, being VM's, can be updated as needed.
Apps can be added as appliances, using remote X sessions. Resource hungry
apps can be done as local VM's on clients.
Director, Simply Circus, Inc.
Email: Steven at SimplyCircus.com
Gym: 86 Los Angeles Street
Newton, MA 02458
Mail: 14 Pierrepont Road
Newton, MA 02462
More information about the K12OSN