Re: [K12OSN] Life after LTSP

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Robert Arkiletian <robark gmail com> wrote:
> 4)
> If Ubuntu is successful with their move to Wayland display server
> (away from X), LTSP may not even work as Wayland has no network
> transparency as X does. Not sure if having X as a client itself on top
> of Wayland will work with LTSP. My guess is it will be troublesome
> because the client will need Wayland up first before X (which btw
> means it will also definitely need an opengl capable chipset). I
> suspect that unless the LTSP project goes back to the way they did
> things in LTSP 4, where they pretty much managed and built the chroot
> as a seperate distro, I think Wayland is going to break LTSP with the
> Muekow way of doing things.

I think the url below explains it pretty well.
The good news: Seems Wayland may yet get some kind of network remoting protocol.

http://www.osnews.com/story/24029/Fedora_To_Eventually_Move_to_Wayland_Too

Fedora devel list has a very interesting and long thread about the
Wayland issue.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-November/thread.html

The times they are a changing.

--