[K12OSN] K12LTSP with BigBlueButton

Barry Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Fri Nov 19 14:04:00 UTC 2010

Hello All,

Just wanted to share with all the listee's here. This may or may not be
of interest to anyone here,but if you have not heard of
BigBlueButton ,it may be worth checking into.

The BBB dev's have a repository now for installing this on Centos 5.x
now that makes it fairly simple to install via rpm's, although the
version will be outdated compared to the Ubuntu and VM versions.
We have used it at times at school for 'helper' situations.
Long story longer,is BBB is very similar to Webex,with not quite so many
features. You may prefer to run BBB in a VM (they have a pre-made VM
image) which is setup very easily as well.

One thing to keep in mind if you do decide to install via rpm's on
Centos 5 server it will hijack your www directory. If you do not want
this to happen there are instructions on how to install BBB manually and
you can specify a sub-dir ,such as /var/www/html/bbb.

It is very fast even on TC's ,as we do use a squid proxy server. You
would think using flash as much as it does it would be dog slow. This is
not the situation. We have also used it across a vpn / remote buildings
and works fine as well, FYI.

http://www.bigbluebutton.org

Take Care,
Barry