[K12OSN] K12OSN Digest, Vol 80, Issue 15

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Mon Oct 25 16:31:15 UTC 2010

Jeff,
You pretty much covered what I was going to write about - seeing that a
handful of clients saturate a wired 10/100 link,  under current
technology, wireless would present more problems than it would solve.

Someone else referenced an LTSP wireless solution which isn't really
ltsp so much as having a boot image on some sort of attached storage,
e.g. flash drive. While it would be relatively easy to set up a spin of
your favorite distro, say, with nm-applet configured to automagically
connect to your wireless, you are moving away from the true TC. You are
adding additional points of failure (bad/broken flash drive, need for
updating the image on the drive) not to mention that in a school
environment, the flash drives might learn to "walk" - go missing.

On the freenx, are you using freenx as a client or nomachine's version
as the client? I use the nomachine version on F13 with no problem with
the freenx server. I believe the freenx client on late versions of
Fedora have been problematic.

regards,
William