[K12OSN] Wireless - TC boot status

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 22:36:09 UTC 2010

On 10/27/2010 5:14 PM, Phydeaux wrote:
>> On 10/27/2010 4:22 PM, Barry Cisna wrote:
>> The thing is, I'm not sure you'd want to pxe boot over wifi, especially
>> something old that might only have b protocol or if you have a lot of
>> units booting at once.  Probably what you really want is a USB/flash
>> boot into something running the NX client with a painless way to keep
>> the boot image up to date - like being able to run from ramdisk while
>> overwriting the boot image if a change is needed, or having enough flash
>> for two copies and a way to copy the new one in and toggle which is used
>> for the next boot.  That way you'd only have to copy the image over when
>> it changes.
>
> I'd agree!  Something like this with a CF/SD card can easily be mounted to a
> motherboard or inside a machine to allow such booting:
>
> http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/ad44midecf.asp
> http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/adidesd.asp
>
> One could also mount a USB key inside the machine.  This will allow
> booting without the possibility for users to remove the USB key,
> floppy, etc.

Or, if the machines have hard drives already and you have enough to be
worth the trouble, you could do one install, then use clonezilla to copy
the image to all the others.  Not as painless as making something
auto-update but still fairly easy and adaptable to about any way you can
make a machine boot (a wired drbl server probably being the most
straightforward).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com