[K12OSN] Recommended Gigabit Network card?

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Fri Oct 1 17:28:40 UTC 2010

We used to serve 10 users on boxes just like this. Now it's a client...
(I'm feeling even older.)

In my experience, gigabit all the way to the client does help video
performance when using highly network intensive programs (ie Flash on
Youtube).

The onboard Intel is quite adequate (you can run compiz on the clients).
If you are squeezed for cash, you could ebay the ATIs and use the
onboard. OTOH, having DVI output probably gives you more options in the
future when 22" LCDs are $100.

DRBL is a great suggestion. There's a LiveCD that works quite well if
you want to give it a quick spin.

Glad you got a good surprise when you opened your donations. Mostly, I'd
just find dust bunnies that would make me sneeze.

Regards,
William