[K12OSN] Users can't log into their Linux accounts

Seema Ali sali at vsb.bc.ca
Thu Oct 21 17:03:48 UTC 2010

I've had Linux running for years and I've never experienced this before.  I was creating Samba accounts and changing ownership on folders and all of a sudden it said that the user (my) home directory did not exist anymore.  I logged onto the server as root and everything is still there.  However when I or any other user now tries to log in it says that it doesn't exist.

Error message:
Your home directory is listed as:
'/home/username'
but it does not appear to exist.  Do you want to log in with the /(root) directory as your home directory?
It is unlikely anything will work unless you use a failsafe session.

What happened?  I checked root's history and I only changed ownership for subdirectories.

I've tried to reboot the server and the problem still exists.

Any ideas?