Re: [K12OSN] Wireless - TC boot status

On 10/27/2010 4:22 PM, Barry Cisna wrote:
Hello All,

Thinking more about this (providing someone with more smarts than me),
It seems on a mobo that has onboard wifi,a person could somehow dump
some code into the bios that would throw pxe into the wifi options,
(along with the afformentioned scanning for AP's).
I remember way back in the first versions of K12LTSP  doing the bios mod
to old p133 mobos with onboard nics that dumped etherboot on to the
bios. As I recall you used an advanced version of flash.exe and the
like. There was always enough spare space on the bios chip that would
allow this code to be added.
It worked slicker than snot,as this was when pxe was just coming on to
the scene,and etherboot was still the choice.
It made an useless dumpster bound p133 box have some life anyways,,other
than being big as a Cadillac they worked and still do work fine with
K12LTSP!
Here is a good challenge for someone.,,,:)

The thing is, I'm not sure you'd want to pxe boot over wifi, especially something old that might only have b protocol or if you have a lot of units booting at once. Probably what you really want is a USB/flash boot into something running the NX client with a painless way to keep the boot image up to date - like being able to run from ramdisk while overwriting the boot image if a change is needed, or having enough flash for two copies and a way to copy the new one in and toggle which is used for the next boot. That way you'd only have to copy the image over when it changes.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com