[K12OSN] LTSP - No clients can connect!

Phydeaux reb at taco.com
Fri Oct 29 18:22:39 UTC 2010

> On the server do both, 'nmap localhost' and 'nmap -sU localhost' Record your
output for each of these,copy/paste.

# nmap localhost
Starting Nmap 5.21 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-10-29 14:16 EDT
Nmap scan report for localhost (127.0.0.1)
Host is up (0.0000050s latency).
Not shown: 992 closed ports
PORT     STATE SERVICE
22/tcp   open  ssh
25/tcp   open  smtp
111/tcp  open  rpcbind
631/tcp  open  ipp
2000/tcp open  cisco-sccp
2049/tcp open  nfs
3306/tcp open  mysql
8022/tcp open  unknown               (this is for a second SSH daemon)

# nmap -sU localhost
Starting Nmap 5.21 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-10-29 14:17 EDT
Nmap scan report for localhost (127.0.0.1)
Host is up (0.0025s latency).
Not shown: 992 closed ports
PORT     STATE         SERVICE
67/udp   open|filtered dhcps
69/udp   open|filtered tftp
111/udp  open          rpcbind
123/udp  open          ntp
177/udp  open          xdmcp
631/udp  open|filtered ipp
2049/udp open          nfs
5353/udp open|filtered zeroconf

> Fire  an linux laptop up,and plug into your 'clients switch' and do the same two
routines. See if these are identical.This is a starting point. If these appear to
be the same. Fire up Wireshark on the same linux laptop and filter down Wireshark
to an ip address of ONE client ip address you have statically assigned in
dhcp.conf. Fire up the client you have assigned to this IP.This will be a more
granular finding as to were communication stops between server and client.
> Stupid question. This is NOT a managed switch is it? If so change to an PnP switch
temporarily.

It's not a managed switch.  I'll next be at school tomorrow (They're pretty busy
today anyway with Halloween) and will try looking at this from the client side. In
the mean time, if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.  I've got to get this thing
working by Monday.

reb