[K12OSN] Recommended Gigabit Network card?

Joseph Bishay joseph.bishay at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 16:24:28 UTC 2010

Hello Terrell,

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:30 PM, Terrell Prude' Jr.
<microman at cmosnetworks.com> wrote:
> The other option (besides a floppy) is to take the old computer's hard disk
> and "cat" the EtherBoot file onto it.  I've done this with some older 4GB
> hard disks with excellent results.  You end up with an "EtherBoot hard disk"
> which of course will not get lost.
> --TP

I have done this also -- taken out the multi-gigabit drives that some
of the machines come with and replaced them with the 1-2 GIG drives
I've got lying around.  There is a great little floppy image (which I
just tried to find again but can't online) that you write to a disk
and then you just pop it into the computer, reboot, and it loads up
and asks you which drive to install the image on -- ./sh /dev/sda and
voila!  It writes to the hard drive the necessary data to boot PXE. So
basically the same thing you have done, but perhaps more
user-friendly.  I'll try to see if I can find the link for it and post
it.

Thanks
Joseph