[K12OSN] Flash and TC slowness

j.w. thomas jthomas at bittware.com
Tue Sep 7 13:26:37 UTC 2010

Barry Cisna wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Thanks to all  that responded here.
> I do not mean to make such a  big deal out of a 'one day' thing via
> Google.
> The point is, if this would have been on an actual school day for
> example,my phone would have been ringing non-stop,"something is wrong
> with these PC's" etc,etc...
> As Google is set as the home page on all severs of course,:-).
> And at that point it would take a while to decipher what was actually
> taking down the server/TC's.
> I need to win the lottery!

Looks like it's not going to be a one-day thing.  Today they are
animating some bouncy balls.  It took 91% of my laptop's hefty CPU, so I
cannot imagine what it is going to do to a TC.

I have the noscript Firefox plugin installed. It prevents scripts from
running on unapproved sites.  I just added google to that list, and the
page loads just fine with no perceptible hit on CPU performance.

The problem with noscript is that there doesn't seem to be a way to make
it default to "allow any site except the ones I disable" which means
that almost nothing will work by default (so many sites rely on java/JS
these days).  But maybe noscript can serve as a starting point.

For more info on Google's home page shenaningans, see these stories:
http://news.cnet.com/2300-11386_3-10004614.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20
http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2010/09/07/129695020/google-s-logo-turns-to-bouncing-balls-for-anniversary?ft=1&f=1001

jthomas at bittware.com  http://www.bittware.com    (603) 226-0404 x536
When you're great, people often mistake candor for bragging. - Calvin