Re: [K12OSN] Flash and TC slowness

You might try setting the default homepage to www.google.com/m as this seems to dispense with all the javascript bells & whistles.

Peter

j.w. thomas wrote:
Barry Cisna wrote:
Hello All,

Thanks to all that responded here. I do not mean to make such a big deal out of a 'one day' thing via
Google. The point is, if this would have been on an actual school day for
example,my phone would have been ringing non-stop,"something is wrong
with these PC's" etc,etc...
As Google is set as the home page on all severs of course,:-).
And at that point it would take a while to decipher what was actually
taking down the server/TC's.
I need to win the lottery!

Looks like it's not going to be a one-day thing. Today they are animating some bouncy balls. It took 91% of my laptop's hefty CPU, so I cannot imagine what it is going to do to a TC.

I have the noscript Firefox plugin installed. It prevents scripts from running on unapproved sites. I just added google to that list, and the page loads just fine with no perceptible hit on CPU performance.

The problem with noscript is that there doesn't seem to be a way to make it default to "allow any site except the ones I disable" which means that almost nothing will work by default (so many sites rely on java/JS these days). But maybe noscript can serve as a starting point.

For more info on Google's home page shenaningans, see these stories:
http://news.cnet.com/2300-11386_3-10004614.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20 http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2010/09/07/129695020/google-s-logo-turns-to-bouncing-balls-for-anniversary?ft=1&f=1001