[K12OSN] Flash and TC slowness

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Tue Sep 7 17:29:13 UTC 2010

j.w. thomas wrote:
> Peter Scheie wrote:
>> You might try setting the default homepage to www.google.com/m as this
>> seems to dispense with all the javascript bells & whistles.
>>
>> Peter
>
> That would eliminate the problem of the home page hanging, but would do
> nothing for the person who types "google.com" into the location bar. How
> could one redirect "google.com" to "google.com/m"?  If that could be
> done at the firewall, I think it would solve the problem in one place
> for everyone vs in each user acct.  Might need another redirect that
> would take the user to the "real" google.com though.

You are correct.  Perhaps a button for Google/m on the Bookmarks toolbar (which
is then pushed out to all users $HOME) would keep most users from typing in
google.com in the location bar--most people would rather click than
type--particularly if typing in the URL results in awful performance because of
the bells & whistles.

Peter