Re: [K12OSN] Sever load , calculating

On 9/10/2010 12:59 PM, Barry Cisna wrote:
Hello All,

Thanks to all for ideas...

OK, I did find a couple interesting things in regards to CPU info.
(This is listed in dmesg as P4/Xeon Extended,,blah,,blah,,,)

When doing an cat /proc/cpuinfo  The OS is seeing the processor as only
1,so I must have jacked upped and didn't enable 'hyper-threading' in the
system bios. My bad. I think Monday I'll go into Bios and enable this
and see if the thing boots up alright? Anyone have any ideas on this
try?,,,:)

Also when I do an dmesg | grep CPU,,,I get a line saying
" CPU0 Temperature above threshold,cpu clock throttled".
So I am guessing this could be hindering performance somewhat?
All fans appear correct as I popped open the case lid and they seem to
be spinning like mad as they should.

Also In regards to question when I run top,I never see any processes
eating cpu at all. This is what has me puzzled for the heavy loads
showing at times?

The ide drives sound like the weak link in that system. What do you see in %iowait with sar or iostat? And what kind of times do you see as the lower number from 'htparm -t -T devicename'? If it seems low, (below 50MB/sec or so), look through dmseg or /var/log/messages to see how it is detected. You should see something like: hda: 488397168 sectors (250059 MB) w/8192KiB Cache, CHS=30401/255/63, UDMA(100)

If it isn't UDMA(100) or higher you might need a newer controller - or lower modes can be triggered by a bad or old style cable.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com