[K12OSN] Recommended Gigabit Network card?

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Tue Sep 28 23:35:01 UTC 2010

Generally, it is only the server that needs a gigabit card.  100Mb is usually
sufficient on the client.  As for the clients, most machines of the last ten
years have some sort of PXE option in the BIOS, sometimes referred to 'boot from
LAN' or some such.  If the machines don't have that, but have floppy drives, you
can also use a universal boot floppy; I think there's still a link to it on the
K12LTSP wiki.  The downside is floppies can get lost, although some people just
hide the whole floppy drive & disk inside the case where users can't get to
them.  Nevertheless, a NIC with a boot prom is nice, and quicker than using a
floppy; www.disklessworkstations.com has them for US $30.

Peter