Re: [K12OSN] Recommended Gigabit Network card?

Hello Jeff,

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 8:38 PM, Jeff Siddall <news siddall name> wrote:
> Have you considered all the costs of using those old PCs?
<snip>
> I had access to a bunch of old PCs for my LTSP setup and I chose not to
> use any of them since they ended up being more expensive than buying new.
>
> Jeff

I have yes -- the issue is that this is a matter of numbers up-front,
rather than long-term costs.  It's a perception issue basically.
While you are correct that a new motherboard will cost me $80 and save
me $X in the future, it will still cost me $80 now.  That $80 I can't
get approved -- not possible as I've already tried.

The best option to maintain good performance is to take these new
computers we just received, and -- while spending as little as
possible -- maximize their performance.  The server already has the
maximum amount of RAM loaded into it, and has 2 gigabit network cards.
 All the switches are gigabit also.  So the best remaining option is
the NICs inside the clients.  Unless there is something else I've
missed?

thanks
Joseph