Re: [K12OSN] Recommended Gigabit Network card?

On 09/30/2010 12:12 PM, Joseph Bishay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am not entirely 100% sure I understand the relationship between the
> BIOS settings and the network card -- am I correct in understanding
> that if the "boot from LAN" option exists in the BIOS, then ANY
> network card would work, or do I need both the "Boot from LAN" option
> *and* a "PXE-capable" network card?

I think the BIOS setting only applies to the onboard NIC.  However, if
it has an onboard NIC with a "Boot from LAN" option then unless it is
using something other than PXE (quite rare), you shouldn't need to buy
anything.

The only other BIOS setting I have found that sometimes needs to be
enabled to make PXE work is the "LAN boot ROM enabled" or something to
that effect.

Jeff