[K12OSN] New Building's LTSP Server

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 16:19:03 UTC 2011

On 4/19/2011 11:05 AM, Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:

> I am actually a fan of RAID 5 for a lot of situations, as I find it
> certainly fast enough for my purposes, plenty reliable, and very
> efficient with storage. But a RAID 1 or even "RAID 10" setup, depending
> on the specific situation, would also work well.

For things that can fit on a single drive, software raid1 has the
advantage of letting you easily recover the data from any disk that
survives any kind of disaster, on any machine with a physically
compatible controller.  And if you can use a mount point layout that
distributes the load/activity across several raid sets your real-world
performance will probably be as good or better than raid10 even if the
'big sequential file' benchmarks aren't as fast.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com