Re: [K12OSN] New Building's LTSP Server

Jeff Siddall wrote:
On 04/19/2011 12:47 AM, Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:
Do you have a preference for hardware vs software SATA Raid?
Yes. I prefer hardware RAID whenever possible. There are two reasons. The first is that the work of maintaining the RAID falls to the RAID
card's processor instead of your CPU.  The second is that the RAID card
will abstract the array so that you don't need to worry about how to do
/boot, for example.  It's just easier, especially for the next person
coming in to maintain it.

Except...  if you are using the "hardware" RAID built into your
motherboard your drives may not work in another motherboard, so you have
to think carefully about possible failure scenarios and recovery.

Software RAID1 on the other hand will work on ANY hardware and you can
boot off it also so there are no worries there.  Since there is no
checksum to calculate there is no significant CPU load either.

I have been using software RAID1 for the better part of a decade now
with no issues.  Personally I would place more confidence in it than the
RAID built into a MOBO but others may disagree.

Also, like I said avoid RAID5 even if you have a real hardware
controller.  The loss of performance and reliability is just not worth
the savings given how large and cheap modern SATA drives are.

No, I mean *real* hardware RAID, not that fake stuff built into so many motherboards (I'm with ya there). I'm referring to stuff like the LSI Logic MegaRAID cards (except the 8200 and 9200 series), which perform pretty decently and are 100% supported by Free Software. The MegaRAID 150-6 remains one of my favorite SATA RAID cards to this day.

I am actually a fan of RAID 5 for a lot of situations, as I find it certainly fast enough for my purposes, plenty reliable, and very efficient with storage. But a RAID 1 or even "RAID 10" setup, depending on the specific situation, would also work well.

--TP