Re: [K12OSN] New Building's LTSP Server

On 4/19/2011 11:05 AM, Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:

I am actually a fan of RAID 5 for a lot of situations, as I find it
certainly fast enough for my purposes, plenty reliable, and very
efficient with storage. But a RAID 1 or even "RAID 10" setup, depending
on the specific situation, would also work well.

For things that can fit on a single drive, software raid1 has the advantage of letting you easily recover the data from any disk that survives any kind of disaster, on any machine with a physically compatible controller. And if you can use a mount point layout that distributes the load/activity across several raid sets your real-world performance will probably be as good or better than raid10 even if the 'big sequential file' benchmarks aren't as fast.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com