Re: [K12OSN] New Building's LTSP Server

On 4/19/2011 4:57 PM, Rob Owens wrote:
On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 11:19:03AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
On 4/19/2011 11:05 AM, Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:

I am actually a fan of RAID 5 for a lot of situations, as I find it
certainly fast enough for my purposes, plenty reliable, and very
efficient with storage. But a RAID 1 or even "RAID 10" setup, depending
on the specific situation, would also work well.

For things that can fit on a single drive, software raid1 has the
advantage of letting you easily recover the data from any disk that
survives any kind of disaster, on any machine with a physically
compatible controller.  And if you can use a mount point layout that
distributes the load/activity across several raid sets your
real-world performance will probably be as good or better than
raid10 even if the 'big sequential file' benchmarks aren't as fast.

Would a hardware RAID 1 disk be recoverable without the hardware RAID
controller?  I guess I'm asking if hardware RAID 1 is simply a mirror,
or if the controllers do something funny to the drives which makes them
unreadable without that controller.

It probably depends on the controller. I'd expect to be able to move the drive(s) to an identical controller type but not necessarily a different brand. They usually add something that lets them identify the drives but in the case of raid1 (only) you might have some chance of reading them on a non-raid controller.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com