[K12OSN] New Building's LTSP Server

Joseph Bishay joseph.bishay at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 13:55:20 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

The feedback has helped tremendously with spec'ing out the new machine
for us.  The key points so far that I have are:

1) SATA RAID 1 drives for space, SSD for OS & /tmp
2) 16 GB RAM
3) three gigabit NICs (one to switch for computer lab, one for rest of
school, plus a third for Internet access)
4) local-apps for firefox/OpenOffice to alleviate some load

The little shop I deal with has recommended the Intel Core i7-960
3.2ghz 8M Cache 4 Core CPU or the Intel Core i7-970 3.2ghz 12M Cache 6
Core processors.  However the vast majority of online reading I've
done says for "servers" or intensive-use applications (which I'd
assume LTSP falls under!) you're better off with the new Xeon series
of chips.

Any thoughts on this? The machine is slowly coming together!

Thank you
Joseph