Re: [K12OSN] New Building's LTSP Server

For LTSP, the more cores, the better, especially with the number of users you're talking about. I'd rather have a 6-core at 2.8 GHz than a 4-core at 3.2. The reason is all the processes that you're running at once. In your situation with possibly 65 users at once, I'd really rather have 12. The bigger on-die cache in the CPU, the better, too.

It's all about how much money you're willing to spend. CPU's are fast enough now that I would have no problem with any of the so-called "desktop" processors doing most server duty. However, if I need more than one CPU socket, i. e. a lot of cores, that's when I'd consider a so-called "server" processor. Been eyeing and lusting certain Tyan dual-socket motherboards for a while.... :-)

If you're thinking about the Xeon, that's higher end, so if you're going there, then consider that AMD also has 8- and 12-core Opterons, with a 16-core on the way. Remember that a lot of "little shops"--heck, "big shops", too--get financial rebates to push certain products, and the more expensive, the better, so I've learned over the years to take any such recommendations with a grain of salt. Better to do your own research.

Good idea for segmenting the computer lab and the rest of the school.

--TP

Joseph Bishay wrote:
Hello everyone,

The feedback has helped tremendously with spec'ing out the new machine
for us.  The key points so far that I have are:

1) SATA RAID 1 drives for space, SSD for OS & /tmp
2) 16 GB RAM
3) three gigabit NICs (one to switch for computer lab, one for rest of
school, plus a third for Internet access)
4) local-apps for firefox/OpenOffice to alleviate some load

The little shop I deal with has recommended the Intel Core i7-960
3.2ghz 8M Cache 4 Core CPU or the Intel Core i7-970 3.2ghz 12M Cache 6
Core processors.  However the vast majority of online reading I've
done says for "servers" or intensive-use applications (which I'd
assume LTSP falls under!) you're better off with the new Xeon series
of chips.

Any thoughts on this? The machine is slowly coming together!

Thank you
Joseph