[K12OSN] Flash sound gone?

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Aug 11 00:31:55 UTC 2011

On 8/10/2011 5:49 AM, Jeff Siddall wrote:
> My 64 bit SL6 LTSP system had working Flash for a while. I think it was
> 32 bit Flash 10 with a wrapper running in 64 bit Firefox. Anyway, for
> whatever reason sound suddenly stopped working. So I tried upgrading to
> the version 11 64 bit native flash player from Adobe. Again, video works
> fine but still no audio -- either on the server console or the thin client.
>
> PulseAudio seems fine, as paplay works on both the server and the
> client. However, aplay returns:
>
> ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
> aplay: main:660: audio open error: Device or resource busy
>
> so if flash is trying to use alsa that might be the problem. I have the
> following alsa stuff installed:
>
> rpm -qa | grep alsa
> alsa-utils-1.0.24.2-24.el6.x86_64
> alsa-oss-1.0.17-4.el6.x86_64
> alsa-lib-1.0.24.1-35.el6.x86_64
> alsa-oss-libs-1.0.17-4.el6.x86_64
> alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.0.21-3.el6.x86_64
>
> and I don't have any asoundrc files anywhere.

Never experienced any problems here.  I recommend NOT using 32bit
flash-plugin on a 64bit server because it pulls in a huge 32bit library
stack.  I now recommend uninstalling nspluginwrapper completely because
Firefox now has its own out-of-process plugin-container that protects
the browser from plugin crashes.  Flash itself seems to crash less often
when run outside of nspluginwrapper.

[warren at rush ~]$ rpm -qa 'alsa*'
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.0.21-3.el6.x86_64
alsa-utils-1.0.21-3.el6.x86_64
alsa-lib-1.0.21-3.el6.x86_64
[warren at rush ~]$ rpm -q nspluginwrapper
package nspluginwrapper is not installed
[warren at rush ~]$ rpm -q firefox
firefox-3.6.18-1.el6_1.x86_64
[warren at rush ~]$ ls -l /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 18708232 Aug 10 13:46
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
[warren at rush ~]$ strings /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
|grep "Shockwave Flash 11"
Shockwave Flash 11.0 d1

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplatformruntimes/flashplayer11/
Download the 64bit version here (updated a few days ago), put
libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins.  I suspect you need to
make it chmod 755.

Warren