[K12OSN] HELP NEEDED NOW: Need Documentation Testing and Feedback

Dean Jones dean.jones at oregonstate.edu
Thu Aug 11 19:42:34 UTC 2011

Hah yeah, it started working 5 minutes after I sent this.  No idea what
the issue was.

Here are my test notes:

 From these instructions:
https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/wiki/InstallGuide

CentOS 6 minimal install.  x86_64, netinstall.
Target clients are Thin clients in kiosk mode (firefox only).  (old
hardware, slow video, no fuse etc)

Not really related to LTSP steps before starting:
yum update
yum install libssh2.x86_64 openssh openssh-askpass openssh-clients
openssh-server wget bind-utils
disable selinux
reboot
setup ssh keys

Using instructions now:
yum groupinstall Desktop (gnome)
rpm -Uhv
http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/x86_64/epel-release-6-5.noarch.rpm
yum update -- nothing to update
rpm -Uhv
http://mplug.org/~k12linux/rpm/el6/x86_64/k12linux-release-5.2.16-1.el6.x86_64.rpm

yum install ltsp-server
echo "/opt/ltsp *(ro,async,no_root_squash)" >> /etc/exports
chkconfig network on
for service in xinetd ltsp-dhcpd rpcbind nfs sshd; do chkconfig $service
on; service $service restart; done
for server in ldminfod nbdrootd nbdswapd tftp; do chkconfig $server on; done
ltsp-build-client
vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 (ltsp interface)
add BRIDGE=ltspbr0, change onboot to yes
edited /etc/sysconfig/iptables and allowed all from eth1 interface
ltsp-server-tweaks
mkdir /opt/ltsp/kiosk-home
useradd -d /opt/ltsp/kiosk-home/ws504 ws504
groupadd kiosk
usermod -a -G kiosk ws504
usermod -a -G fuse ws504
edit /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf
	add in group for thin clients, mac addy and static ip
/etc/init.d/ltsp-dhcpd restart

Client will PXE boot and hit TFTP properly but my old thin clients don't
like the kernel so I need to work on building a custom one for the chroot.

I have a mini-lab setup and can also test with a PXE booted PC if anyone
needs something specific tested etc.