[K12OSN] Need Quick Help - Any way to do a low level, complete copy of my boot HD?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 22:42:46 UTC 2011

You are wanting the dd command or the ddrescue command.
Dd is standard but will likely choke on failed sectors.
Ddrescue will keep moving and retrying failed sectors until it suceeds or
times out.
On Aug 14, 2011 5:47 PM, "Carl Keil" <carl at snarlnet.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry. My boot drive is apparently failing. Just got this in the mail
> after having to rescue my grub/boot info after waking up to a dead server.
>
> Device: /dev/hda, 51 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
>
> The email before that said 44 Currently unreadable.
>
> So, is there a way to slap another 40 gig HD (that's how big the current
one is) in there and type a command, from say the rescue CD's command line
and just copy over what I have now, verbatim, to a new disk. I'm going to
keep googling, but I trust this list more than most Linux info I've seen.
Like copying at the /dev/hda level. Copying partitions, etc.