[K12OSN] Mixed Network configuration woes

Roland Roberts roland at astrofoto.org
Mon Aug 22 17:31:42 UTC 2011

I've been reading through the page
https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/wiki/MixedNetworkSetup to try to get
this working, but I've head a wall. Things *look* like they are working
up to a point. My client gets the PXE info and downloads the files
appearing to boot. But then when the display goes to initialize, I end
up with an odd partial screen at which point nothing works. After a few
seconds, the caps-lock key light begins to blink suggesting to me that
the machine has locked up.

First, I had everything working via a PXE-boot VM before moving on to
trying to get this setup working. So at least I knew I had a working
configuration. But it will be difficult if not impossible to set up
separate networks for this site :-/

I have a dhcp server that has been working fine for general requests.
Here's my stanza for my test host....

     host ltspc0 {
         hardware ethernet f0:de:f1:79:d5:c4;
         option host-name "lstpc0.rlent.pnet";
         option log-servers 192.168.3.3;
         option tcode "America/New_York";
         next-server 192.168.3.36;
         option option-128 "192.168.3.36";
         option option-129 "192.168.3.36";
         filename "/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";
         option root-path "192.168.3.36:/opt/ltsp/i386";
         fixed-address 192.168.3.102;
     }

I've tried with and without root-path, and options 128 and 129 but there
is no difference. I'm not getting any log messages on the log-server to
help track this down.

the client is a Thinkpad 420s, a fairly new machine (actually newer than
the server), so i'm wondering about the video driver. From what I've
read, RHEL supposedly included this driver in 6.1, so I was assuming
that should work, but maybe I'm wrong there. Or maybe it's something
completely else.

Can anyone point me to troubleshooting resources for setting this up? I
can also post a YouTube video of the boot sequence if anyone thinks that
would help.

The last thing on the screen is before the half flat gray screen is:

     mtrr: no more MTRRs available
     [drm] MTRR allocation failed. graphics performance may suffer

roland

--
Roland Roberts, PhD
http://www.astrofoto.org/