[K12OSN] Sound problems

Jomegat jomegat at jomegat.com
Mon Aug 22 15:41:45 UTC 2011

On 08/22/2011 10:52 AM, Jeff Siddall wrote:
> On 08/22/2011 09:34 AM, Jomegat wrote:

>>> It seems ALSA cannot find card 0.
>>>
>>> Did you run this command on the server?
>>
>> Good question. I was logged into a TC and opened an xterm. I THINK that
>> means I ran the command on the server. I do not know how to run anything
>> on the TC, but would appreciate enlightenment.
>>

>>> If YES => the alsa -> pulseaudio redirection is not configured and you
>>> need to modify your /etc/asound.conf
>>
>> This could be it - there is no /etc/asound.conf. Perhaps I have a
>> missing package?
>>

>>> If NO (you ran the command on the thin client) => The thin client
>>> cannot find an appropriate driver for the sound card.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> Are you sure you are running K12Linux and not K12LTSP? K12Linux used
> LTSP5 and I thought pulseaudio was one of the things that didn't work in
> EL5. Most EL5 users run K12LTSP which was LTSP4.
>
> If it is LTSP4 I really have no idea how it is supposed to work because
> I have never run anything less than LTSP5.
>
> It looks like LTSP4 is using ESD for network audio but I don't know if
> the mic ever worked with that.
>
> You might end up having to go to K12Linux with Fedora or EL6.

Sorry - I typed K12Linux when I meant K12LTSP.  I guess I need EL6 then.
  I have two servers right now - one of them is at the school and is
slated for retirement.  The other is here on my desk at the office.  I
could do an install from scratch.

My main requirement is to support the old 900MHz Celeron's we're using
for TC's.  As I've been reading the list, it looks like I need to be
careful about what I upgrade to.  EL6 supports old clients, right?

jthomas at bittware.com  http://www.bittware.com    (603) 226-0404 x536
   - Arthur C. Clarke