[K12OSN] Troubleshooting fuse?

Warren Togami Jr. warren at togami.com
Wed Aug 24 19:24:44 UTC 2011

On 8/24/2011 12:47 AM, Gideon Romm wrote:
> This is what you should expect to see.
>
> The /media/$USER folder on the server is only visible by $USER - it is
> not even visible by root. This is part of ltspfs's built in security.
> With ltspfs, the user -and only the user (not root) has permission to
> see his drives's content under /media. If you mount it again and
> switch user to the user "roland", you should be able to ls
> /media/roland/usbdisk-sda1
>
> In terms of the drive being mounted on the thin client, this is also
> how ltspfs works. In "steady state", the drive remains unmounted on
> the thin client. Only when you access the /media/roland/usbdisk-sda1
> does the drive actually get automounted on the thin client. It will
> remain mounted until 2 seconds after being idle and then be unmounted
> again.  This is why you can wait 2 seconds and then simply pull out
> the USB stick from the thin client without caring to "safely remove
> the USB device".
>
> -Gadi

Although "it is safe to pull the USB device" is generally a bad thing to
teach users.  The nautilus error message when they attempt to "properly"
remove the device confuses the user, so I looked into modifying the
GNOME stack to make that work.

https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/wiki/EL6Status#LOWPRIORITYTODO
I wrote some notes here.

Warren